Wednesday, 5 November 2014

Guilt Free Snacking

A bit of a different post from me today, Since January this year I have been on a health kick – I’ve managed to lose quite a bit of weight and feel so much happier and healthier.

I am a complete and utter chocaholic, I cannot get enough of the sweet stuff and a year ago that was mostly the problem. I couldn’t go a day without eating a massive amount of chocolate, I thought it was making me feel happier and it was my treat so why not? It took me a little while to realise comfort foods were not making me feel good in fact they were making me sad, anxious and just completely not like me. I had been feeling down and unhappy with the way I looked for about a year, I had gotten bigger almost without noticing it and it took a long time for me to realise what was making me so deeply unhappy.

I had to re-educate myself on eating and exercise, having studied exercise science at uni I should have known better to be honest! I started doing exercise regularly and cut down on the rubbish! I know how I am when it comes to food and I like to graze, I like to have a few extra nibbles with my lunch or a quick snack to get me through the afternoon. I’ve just had to teach myself that a little snack is not a 100g bar of galaxy chocolate (true story unfortunately!) but to make better and healthier choices.

You can’t change the habit of a lifetime, I still love a good bar or chocolate but I try to restrict myself to one bar on a Saturday or a Sunday but inevitably I’m only human and I do slip up sometimes. I thought you might like to see some of the alternative snacks I’ve really begun to enjoy that satisfy my need for something to munch on but won’t compromise my healthy eating.



Metcalfe's Sweet and Salty – I love popcorn, but I don’t like how unhealthy it can be. When I first discovered sweet and salty popcorn  it was literally like a light bulb going off in my head, I couldn’t believe how tasty and filling it was and a serving is only 115 calories! I was instantly sold and I think I eat this pretty much every day with my lunch instead of a bag of crisps. It helps keep me feeling full and the combination of sweet and salt is genius!

Chedds Nibbles – I cannot stand milk, I just can’t bring myself to drink a glass of the stuff so I try and get a little bit of my calcium from cheese. I really like the kids snack packs you can get, which is little bits of cheddar this averages at about 67kcal per serving, cheese can be bad for you if you eat too much of it so I usually try to stick to these small portions.

Fruit! Simple, cheap and available almost everywhere, I used to have a couple of choccie digestives at 11am but now if I’m hungry I have an apple or an orange instead. Gives me that feeling of eating something sweet and is nutritionally much better for me.

Pop chips – Sometimes I really really crave a bag of crisps, this is where I reach for the popchips they are healthy crisps in the fact that they are air popped not fried or baked so they have this really unique texture but the best bit is they are so full of flavour, I am a big fan of the barbeque flavour. Only 100kcals (ish) per bag, healthy crisps that feel naughty even though they’re not! My kind of food!

Sparkling water – ok so technically not a snack but it’s really helping getting me off the coke zero. I know how bad it is for me and I’m really trying to stop drinking it but when you’re pretty much teetotal and you go out on an evening what do you drink?! Having a glass of sparkling water with my lunch also makes me feel like I’ve had a fizzy drink and I find I crave a glass of coke zero less.
These are my five favourite healthy snacks, as you can see it’s pretty much all about the mind games with me. I have to trick my brain into thinking it’s being naughty, this way I feel satisfied and my body likes me a lot more for it.

I am not a nutritionist nor do I claim to be, this is just what I have found works for me. Every person is different and what works for one may not another so just bear that in mind.


I hope you enjoyed this post, I’m off to eat some more popcorn! x

8 comments:

  1. I love Chedds nipples! Lovely post :)
    xo
    Anastasia
    http://natbeesfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) they are a lovely yummy snack xx

      Delete
  2. I think I should try some healthier snacks, because I always feel so guilty after snacking and I hate that!

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't skip out snacking, I like food too much! This way I get the best of both worlds! xx

      Delete
  3. Sweet n salty popcorn is the way forward! Oh my god! So delicious!

    Jessie, www.jessiesjuicyjargon.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more! It's my ultimate snack! xxx

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this! I have just gotten into mini blocks of cheese and they are so so good. I love any snack that is individually packaged as it helps me control myself - rather than buying like a whole block of cheese and just tucking into it. I love the mini bags of haribo star mix as well as they are sweet and yummy which stops the craving but around only about 40 cals :) xx

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mini bags of Haribo are an excellent idea! I think I'll grab a bag next time I'm craving something sweet! xxxx

      Delete

I always love to read your thoughts on my blog! xxxx